Friday, September 30, 2011

Baby Moon Garden Awaits Dragon

Stick-like Pecan tree and a bench
mark the beginning of Moon Garden
          Here grow lavender, thymes, daisies, comfrey, sage, forget-me-nots, wormwood, and a profusion of other plants with silver leaves or white or blue flowers that seem to glow in moonlight. Well, they're here in my imagination. That spindly little tree in the center of the photo on the right is supposed to reach a height of sixty to seventy feet.  When, and if, it really does, my plan for a Moon Garden here will have to be rethought.  In the meantime, I figured I could replace the grass with plants that shine in the dark, sort of.  I find it ironic that nearly all the plants I've identified for this project require full sun.
         In the photo on the right, the edge starting on the lower right and going behind the bench will have a lavender hedge.  That's in place, although the plants are difficult to identify because they're so small.  Red creeping thyme has a good start at filling in under and around the bench (below).  Perhaps by next summer I'll be able to sit and swing my feet
Sam sitting in the path in the Moon Garden
over the herb to release its fragrance.  A cedar chip path runs in front of the bench.  To the left of the bench is a ground cover I discovered at a local greenhouse.  It's Blue Cupflower.  I purchased two pots and divided the many small plants so that it's already covering two or three square yards with two-to-three inch tall growth.  I've yet to view the pinkish flowers by moonlight; I was expecting a bluer flower that might show up better at night, but I do like the spreading low growth.  Most of it is out of the photo, to the left.
       More thyme grows around the pecan sapling, including some Silver Thyme.  The person I bought it from didn't know it's listed as a Zone 7 plant.  She says she's had no trouble growing it here in Zone 5.  If that's the case, it'll be perfect in this garden.  I planted some Dusty Miller (lower left corner), but it hasn't been doing all that well.  Cute little Sam has pulled  at least one of them completely out of the ground. 
       The biggest handicap with this project remains my husband's insistence that he run a pipe line from the house to the barn, right through the garden-to-be.  I was hoping that he'd get this started (done) soon after he announced his intention.  Hasn't happened yet.  The concrete dragon sculpture I want to create on site would sit squarely over this pipe line, so I can't do more than think about it until the pipe is laid.  To compensate, I thought about making a giant frog to sit in the front yard.  Haven't gotten to that, yet, either.  I'm laughing at myself as I type this because I've never made more than a stepping stone in concrete and now I want to sculpt a dragon.  Okay, so maybe I should try something really small first, like a sculpted frog steppingstone.  If I can do that and make a mold, I can have frogs all over the place!  Another project for next year, when I can work outside.
       Oh, in case you haven't met him already, Sam's the puppy, a golden retriever/German shepherd mix that promises to pass thirty pounds before he's three months old.  He and my gardens will grow together.

No comments:

Post a Comment